A new job is a new opportunity – a time to put into action all of your experience, and to improve the place that you now work.
When starting a new job, you should act – and present yourself – as a consultant. Basically, you are selling your services to the position that you now hold – they need you for your experience and knowledge, and you need them for – basically – a paycheck (and a workplace to call home, of course).
What is involved with being a consultant? A few of the major points are:
- Be professional in how you act
- Be formal with your presentation of knowledge
- Keep track of everything in writing or a daily log
- Keep communication open, correspond daily (via email)
- Keep the flow of new ideas running
- Take initiative on new ideas, after getting approval
And remember – you are getting paid for the work you do, so do the work you are getting paid for.